Image Map

Thursday, April 23, 2015

Perfect Blue



Precise restoration ("remaster" if you prefer) was done to this release. It was deshaked so the image doesn't bounce as it does in source, also levels and colors were corrected since original was very dull, now image should be closer to the intended original cels. At last some denoising to kill aggressive grain and fix other chroma noise issues.

In the audio department English track was synced (+250ms), as it wasn't in sync even in source BD-R, Spanish track shifted to -500ms as well. The Spanish track had to be pitch adjusted too. Same sync fixes for subtitles, they were grabbed from release "bxyh" and "Temporuss Animes" respectively. The latter in Spanish heavily edited for punctuation errors.

Comparison shots (source BD-R UK):
Link


Profile:
Original Title: パーフェクトブルー
English Title: Perfect Blue
Format: Film
Genre: Thriller
Studio: Madhouse
Year: 1998
Director: Satoshi Kon
Fansub: Uoza Fansub
Length: 01:21:42

Technical:
Video: 1920x1040, H.264 8bit, L4.1 @ 23.976fps, 11000 kbps
Audio1: Japanese 5.1 DTS, 1500 kb/s
Audio2: English 5.1 AC3, 448 kb/s
Audio3: Spanish 2.0 AAC, 320 kb/s
Subtitle1: ASS (English)
Subtitle2: ASS (Spanish)

Other: 7.9Gb in Matroska (MKV)



Screenshots:




Perfect Blue [1080p] [Restored] [Dogway] (1998)


Polemic:

This title has always been controversial, it was a crappy transfer to HD; crushed blacks, low contrast, extreme shaking, grain...  I had the THORA HD release lying around, after a while and with new fresh restoration-trained eyes I found it a very disrespectful release, it has mostly been like this with all the past THORA works despite having the fansub in high regard, but I guess time changes and to be fair restoration tools have improved a lot in the last years.

So I did a quick overview of the current state in this title for the different fansubs and found nothing had changed much so I approached to do a fast and decent release. Once uploaded to nyaa it was very warmly received, finally we had a watchable and what's more, enjoyable release.
Meanwhile and before I reached the download count of the last Perfect Blue release of the tracker (bxyh's from last summer) he took it down to redo it (deshake it basically) so it could be accepted in the BakaBT tracker. My release was also mentioned in one of the comments of his BakaBT offer without any feedback so far (read the "update" below).
Later on bxyh re-released it on nyaa, but this time using multiple trackers on his torrent and uploaded to different places like piratebay, kickass, demonoid, torrentz, etc, etc. He surpassed my download count of 2 months in one week, I guess his release must be the best thing since slice bread /ironic.

Just before this event and as it was an automatic bot, I had my pristine encode, re-encoded to micro 1080p by another user/fansub (that makes three lossy h.264 transcodes in a row starting from bluray). Such a restoration work butchered violently under quantization madness... and to make matters worse it had a very good reception (WTF!) almost as much as mine...  well, he credited me I guess that makes it a pass /ironic2.

If that wasn't enough some people greeted me for being the only one brave enough to deal with the (in very need) color correction. /ironic3

"Fansub wars", this was a new thing to me, I guess we have all the ingredients for a movie script.

Update:  After bxyh uploaded his deshaked version and seeing it still not being accepted for the BakaBT offer (screenshot here), he decided to answer (sorry rant) about the previous recommendation of my release which he had ignored at the time. He went full on trash-talk with non-sense words, typical stuff (overfiltered, oversaturated, oversharpen), and "if he didn't do that wrong it could actually be good"  (eeerr....  oh-key)
I went over each of the images he criticized and couldn't find a thing, but "that guy's head has sunk into darkness" kinda sounded to me like; "hey why you painted the sky blue?", sometimes you just have to ROFL for ridiculousness.
 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dogway
    So far I think that your release is the best around.
    I don’t even know if my post will be read but it’s worth the shot:
    Any chance that one day you'll apply your restoration treatment to the 2019 released remastered version of Perfect Blue ?
    https://nyaa.si/view/1139920
    The quality is somehow better but there is still the problems of shakyness and color dullness.
    Your treatment applied to this version would be awesome, imho. This movie deserves your work :)
    Thanks in advance and have a nice day !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where can I download these spanish subs in the .ass format? please send me those!. TY

    ReplyDelete